Until further notice all book donations
to the Library should be dropped off to
the Friends of the Library shop, a Novel
Idea, at Wheeler House, 1100 Dorset Street
- OPEN: Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The shop will be
closed on days that South Burlington Schools
are closed for inclement weather.
Book Donations at Wheeler House at 1100
Dorset Street Friends of the SB Library
will only accept donations when the Book
Shop at Wheeler House is open—Thursday,
Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2
p.m. The Friends will accept fiction,
children’s books, cookbooks, gardening,
non-fiction, books on CD, Trade paper
and paper back books. Please look over
the books and make sure they are in good
condition. If they are not in good condition,
you can take them to Good Will, Hannaford’s,
Replays, Habitat, or local recycle center.
PLEASE NOTE: Friends will NOT accept,
VHS tapes, magazines, Reader’s Digest,
academic, foreign language, coffee table
or religious books.
Donated items will be accepted on the
condition that the Library Director may
select those items needed for the collection
and dispose of unwanted items when necessary.
Donated items will not be returned to
the donor and the Library will not accept
any item that is not an outright gift.
Once donated to the Library, items become
the property of the SBPL, and may be given
to other libraries and non-profit agencies
(including the Friends of the Library),
sold, traded, or discarded if not used
in the collection.
The Library has limited shelf space and limited storage for the Friends of the Library book sales. Thus, the library must be selective when accepting donations and has established the following criteria:
- Donations must be in excellent condition – fresh smelling and clean, with pages that are not yellowed and are not damaged in any way.
- The Library will only accept items from South Burlington residents.
- The Library will accept adult books, only if they have been published within the past ten years.
- The Library will accept only books in English
- .The Library will not accept text books, magazines, or Reader’s Digest condensed books.
- The Library will not accept primary source documents and archival materials.
The following accept clean book donations:
- Replays (Blue Mall) accepts books, but no dictionaries, textbooks, or encyclopedias. 660-8420
- Goodwill (Shelburne Rd.) accepts books, but no magazines or library books. 658-5359
- Chittenden Solid Waste District (South Burlington Drop-Off Center) has a special area for hardcover books only. Clean and dry paperbacks can go into blue recycling bins or in the “Reuse” kiosk, if bestsellers. 872-8111
- Used books can also be sold at the Crow Bookshop (14 Church Street, Burlington) http://www.crowbooks.com/.
This information was confirmed at time of printing, but may change in the future.